Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Strike?



It took a while but I made it to Umtata/Mthatha. Drove to Washington, DC, last Thursday and left my car. Flew to South Africa on Friday and reached Johannesburg Saturday evening. Stayed overnight in a guest house and flew to East London Sunday morning. Another drive, this time just 2 1/2 hours and I was in Umtata/Mthatha. A little travel weary and jet-lagged.















Started at the hospital Monday morning. At morning report we heard that the student strike at WSU ended at midnight and Dr. Nelivigi would be going to a meeting to rearrange the students' lecture schedule. At 10 I found out that I would need to prepare a lecture for 11:30. For some reason the original schedule had never reached me before the trip, and I scramble to revise a lecture I had given to the interns last year.

Now, between myself and the anesthesia resident, Dr. Deal, we give 2-3 lectures a day. In betweeen lectures we go to the Operating Theatre to observe. Evenings are spent preparing lectures now that we know the topics that need to be covered. It's been cold and rainy so staying inside at the end of the day has not been too bad.

Last year Marcia bought me a digital camera. Yesterday I bought my first flash drive and had some photos transerred to the drive so they can be attached. Here goes try #1.

Looks like it worked. The top picture is me chatting with Nelson Mandela. He is even bigger and more charismatic in real life. The bottom photo is taken from my front porch this morning. The rain has stopped and the landscape is getting green again.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dad! Glad you made it safely! Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I am going to follow this and see what great adventures my brother is having..good luck Pat

    ReplyDelete